Thousands of people across Aotearoa and the world joined in solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter to stand against systemic racism both inside the United States and everywhere. The US police are intimately tied to the US military that enforce white supremacist violence across the globe under the rubric of the “war on terrorism.” New Zealand should have no involvement with the US empire and its forces of violence. Instead we must stand for a free and independent Pacific. The global day of action – this Saturday 20 June – is about educating people and building solidarity across the Pacific between those who resist RIMPAC 2020.
Ideas for actions:
- Make a sign or banner using one of the key messages and take a photo of yourself, then post it to our facebook event using the hashtag #CancelRIMPAC. If you use twitter, please ping us on @PeaceActionWGTN and our sister organisation @AKPeaceAction
- Visit the offices of your Member of Parliament and write a message in chalk outside of their office and take a photo of yourself, then post it to our facebook using the hashtag #CancelRIMPAC.
- Print some posters (1, 2, 3) and put them up in your workplace, community, library, coffee shop etc.
- Set up a stall and collect signatures for our petition: electronic version or paper version and take a photo of yourself, then post it to our facebook event using the hashtag #CancelRIMPAC.
- Create a large message using people or other natural items (such as rocks) as letters, photograph it from a vantage point then post it to our facebook event using the hashtag #CancelRIMPAC.
- Create a meme, gif or video message of solidarity then post it to our facebook event using the hashtag #CancelRIMPAC.
- Join us for the RIMPAC webinar on Saturday from 1pm-3pm hosted by World Beyond War Aotearoa. Register here
Key Messages for actions:
- DECOLONISE! DEMILITARISE!
- Stop US Wars. No RIMPAC 2020
- Healthcare NOT warfare. Cancel RIMPAC wargames
- Solidarity Across the Pacific. Resist RIMPAC 2020
- For a Nuclear-free, Weapons-free & Independent Pacific
- Cancel RIMPAC, Protect Hawai’i
- For a Free, Independent & Indigenous Pacific
- You cannot simultaneously prepare for war and for peace. NZ out of RIMPAC.
Key Hashtag for the Day of Action: #CancelRIMPAC
Resources to Use:
- Leaflet about RIMPAC
- #CancelRIMPAC posters (1, 2, 3)
- Paper copy of our petition to gather signatures
For more info about RIMPAC
- The Spinoff: “Dear New Zealand, please don’t bring your war games to my Hawaiian home”
- Te Ao News: “Activists want navy out of RIMPAC to avoid Covid-19 spread”
- Radio NZ: “Rimpac war games exercise: New Zealand government urged to withdraw”
- WWEA Educating for Social Change: “Interview about RIMPAC with Dr Emalani Case“
- 95bFM: “Calls for the end of RIMPAC: May 6, 2020”
- Read our Official Information Act requests about RIMPAC on FYI.org.nz (1, 2)